Best portable induction cooktop: We review 7 great options for 2020
Looking for the best portable induction cooktop? We have reviewed 7 of the best portable induction cookers available on the market based on features, pros, and cons.
It is safe to say you cannot go wrong with any of these models, considering they are highly recommended by experienced cooks and praised by customer reviews on Amazon.
Without further ado, we invite you to take a look at the best induction burners reviewed below and check out the buying guide to be sure you’re choosing the best model for your needs.
How Do Induction Cooktops Work?
Induction cooktops keep gaining popularity among users because of the high efficiency offered. Electromagnetic currents are produced by wires (usually copper) that are placed inside the burners. The current is what makes the burner act like a very strong electromagnet. The molecules inside the pan end up vibrating under the effect of the magnet and, as a result, heat is produced.
As opposed to other cooktops, induction cooking heats up the pan, not the cooktop surface. Due to this, the energy efficiency of the induction cooktop is much higher. Energy is transferred right to the pot, with no energy being lost during the transfer to the surrounding environment.
Why Are Induction Cooktops Preferred?
Induction cooktops offer some clear advantages that have to be known. The very important ones are:
Highest Possible Cooking Efficiency
The induction cooktop always uses electromagnetic currents. They create a direct heat transfer from the surface of the appliance to the cookware. As a result, the cooktop remains cool so there is no danger of having to deal with gas leaks or gas burns.
Instant results are noticed with induction cooking because you do not have to wait for the pan to reach the correct temperature. You just use the controls of the cooktop to set the desired temperature. This means that you can boil water much faster than with other cooking methods. As an example, 1 ounce is ready in under 4 minutes. Cooking is simply a lot faster than with other alternatives.
Accurate Temperature Control
This is one of the main reasons many chefs prefer induction cooktops. Temperature control is very precise. You can set temperatures and maintain them without any hassle. In addition, induction cooktops usually include auto-shutoff features. They make it very easy to cook even the meals that normally require hours.
No heat is created around the cooking surface. The induction cooktop always stays cool. Also, many of the units offer child protection locks so they are perfect for families with children.
Easy To Clean
The surface of the induction cooktop is always a material that is very easy to clean. Usually, all you need is a damp cloth and water or mild soap.
The Disadvantages Of Induction Cooktops
As with any technology we use, there are advantages and disadvantages that have to be known. The only 2 disadvantages associated with using induction cooktops to cook are:
Induction cooktops are always more expensive than gas and electric countertops. This is in part because the technology is new and in part because of what it takes to manufacture the unit. When you buy an induction cooktop, portable or not, you make an investment. However, the investment does end up paying itself off in the long run.
Any induction model uses less energy than the regular electric cooktops. In addition, as induction cooking becomes more popular and more mainstream, costs will go down.
Specific Cookware Needed
All induction-safe cookware includes iron particles. These activate in order to create heat as they interact with the heaters. All new pots and pans you buy need to be labeled as being “induction safe”. When you are not sure about the old cookware you already own, perform the magnet test, which involves using a magnet on the bottom of the pan. If the magnet sticks, it is safe to be used with an induction cooktop.
How To Choose A Portable Induction Cooktop
here are numerous portable induction cooktops available on the market right now. Choosing the best one can be a daunting process. Whenever you shop for one, consider the following:
Cooking space and countertop width have to be considered first. In most homes, there is a conventional gas burner that occupies a large part of the countertop. When buying the built-in induction unit, serious installation is needed and the entire countertop has to be remodeled. However, when you buy a portable induction cooktop, you need less space. Just measure the countertop space available and choose an induction cooktop of a suitable size.
The electromagnetic current created by the induction cooktop is generated by connecting the unit to your power supply. Most homes have supplies of 230 to 240 V. The circuitry used is 30 or 50 A, with 30 A circuitries being much more common in older homes.
Simply put, the power supply of your home needs to be compatible with what the portable induction cooktop requires. If you’re not sure the power supply of your house is compatible, contact an electrician for confirmation.
Induction Cooktop Features
As you can see when you take a look at the best portable induction cooktops presented, most units are similar in terms of design and space occupied. However, the list of available features is different. Some very common features that you want to look for include: overheat sensors, spill protection, residual heat sensors, child protection, and cookware recognition.
Look at the features presented and see what you need and what you do not. Make your final choice based on what makes your cooking experience easier, based on what you often cook and what you need from the cooktop.
Although prices do not vary that much with portable induction cooktops, your budget still needs to be considered. Make sure that you do not overspend, especially if you do not have induction-safe cookware. It is better to first test your cookware to be sure that it is compatible with induction by using the magnet test. When your cookware is not compatible, your cooktop buying budget has to accommodate the money needed to buy it.
The Best Portable Induction Cooktops
NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop 1300 Watts
The NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop (PIC) series is highly respected because it offers adjustable and precise temperature control. The minimum temperature is 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the maximum temperature is 575 degrees Fahrenheit. You can control the temperature in increments of 10 degrees. This offers highly precise cooking suitable for both simple and complex dishes.
One thing that instantly stands out with the portable induction cooktop is its programming technology. You can use 100 hours of memory in order to precisely prepare complex recipes.
Cooking is initiated through a delay function so convenience is always high. Also, the automatic shutoff function is activated as the program you set is finished so you will never have to deal with burned food.
- Dimensions – The portable induction burner measures 14.4 x 15.9 x 6.3 inches and weighs 6.9 pounds.
- Power – 1300 Watts
- Versatile Cooking – Take advantage of 6 pre-programmed temperature settings or cook at the exact temperature you want by adjusting between 100 degrees Fahrenheit and 575 degrees Fahrenheit. This is possible in increments of 10 degrees, for a total of 52 temperatures.
- Space-Saving Design – The NuWave PIC uses a circular design to minimize the space needed when cooking.
- Programing Technology – NuWave PIC includes programmable cooking functionality.
- Energy Efficiency – The NuWave PIC 1300 Watts uses 70% less energy when compared to electric or gas ranges.
- High Versatility – You can use the NuWave PIC to deep-fry, saute, stir-fry, sear, steam, barbecue, grill, melt, slow cook, simmer and boil. Also, the cooktop is portable and lightweight.
- Safety – The portable induction cooktop uses modern safety features. This includes automatic shutoff if the pan is removed and delay function.
- Extras – When you buy the NuWave PIC, you receive a Precision Cooking Club lifetime membership. As a member, you receive tips, tricks, and recipes.
- Compact design
- Programming technology
- High energy efficiency
- Complex and accurate temperature control
- Can only use induction-ready cookware.
- After lifting a pan, you need to press the start button again for the cooktop to work. It does not automatically re-start if you put the pan back.
Duxtop 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner
This Duxtop induction stove cooking device has a 7-blade fan that rapidly dissipates heat so you can safely touch the top of the burner within 30 seconds after removing a pot or pan. The cooker is lightweight and compact so it doesn’t take a lot of space on the countertop.
One cool feature of this model is that it tells you if a pan or pot is induction compatible or not through an alert system that shows a code. The cooktop induction burner comes with a manual that lists all the codes so you can easily tell if your pots are or aren’t compatible with the burner. Furthermore, the system also warns you about high or low voltage.
It is important to note that in order to use the Duxtop Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner, you need induction cookware that has a magnetic bottom that’s at least 5 inches in diameter.
- Dimensions: This induction cooktop burner is 13 x 11.5 x 2.5 inches and weighs 6.48 pounds
- 10 power levels from 200 to 1800 Watts
- 10 temperature settings that range from 140 °F to 460 °F
- Auto-shutoff after 60 seconds if no cookware is detected thanks to the auto-pan detection system that will shut off the burner if id doesn’t detect cookware
- Digital timer that goes up to 170 minutes with 1-minute increments
- Multiple power and temperature settings
- ETL approved
- Cool to touch
- Auto-pan detection system
- Fan can be loud
- Alert sound is loud
iSiLER 1800W Sensor Touch Electric Induction Cooker Cooktop
ISiLER’s high-powered 1800W Sensor Touch Electric Induction Cooker Cooktop instantly stands out as one of the best induction burners because of its high power and the user-friendly control panel. There are 9 power levels you can use, ranging between 100W and 1800W.
Control is possible through 200W increments so you can easily adjust to your cooking needs for grilling, slow cooking, steaming, searing, boiling, deep-frying, and more. Besides controlling power, you can also control temperature settings in 40 degrees Fahrenheit increments, between 140 and 460 degrees Fahrenheit. The timer can be controlled in 1-minute increments for up to 180 minutes.
Cook with ease of mind as the induction cooktop has overheating protection. If the internal temperature goes over the temperature you select, the device stops working. A built-in fuse guarantees an internal temperature lower than 563 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dimensions – The induction cooktop measures 11.6 X 2.2 X 14.2 inches and weighs 6.75 pounds. You can easily transport it and use it even in really tight spaces.
- 9 Power Levels – Varying from 100W and 1800W.
- 8 Preset Temperature Levels – Varying between 140 and 460 degrees Fahrenheit. You can modify it in increments of 40 degrees.
- 3-Hour Timer – Just use the “+” and “-“ buttons for timer modification. Modify the time in increments of 1 minute or press longer for 10 minutes.
- Safety Features – Included child lock, rounded edges, and overheating protection.
- Easy Maintenance – The surface is made out of premium glass, with high wear resistance. Cleaning is very easy after every single use. You just need to use mild soap and a soft cloth.
- Uniform Heating – The induction cooktop has uniform heating so everything is cooked as you want it.
- Lightweight and durable
- Attractive design
- Easy control through touch controls
- Wide applications
- High wear resistance
- Easy maintenance
- Child safety lock
- The unit can only operate with induction cookware made with materials like cast iron and stainless steel.
- Temperature selections listed are not cooking temperatures. They display a magnetic coil temperature so you need to use a thermometer for extra control while cooking.
Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop – 1800 Watts
The Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop allows you to cook countless meals really fast. You can use a power setting of up to 1800W and control the portable induction cooktop with a highly-sensitive control panel. An LCD screen is available to adjust power, temperature, and function. You also use it to activate the child lock or set the desired timer. In addition, a fast boil button allows you to quickly boil water you would use for soups or even making coffee/tea.
This portable induction cooktop has very high energy efficiency as it allows you to choose from different power and temperature level settings. The tested energy efficiency is 83%, which means you lose a lot less energy than with traditional electric or gas stoves.
Cleanup is very easy, as long as you allow the cooktop enough time to properly cool down. The surface is glass so a damp towel is all that is necessary to wipe most of the grime or dirt away. For tougher to clean residue, mild soap is enough.
- Portable Induction Burner – ETL listed and perfect for home kitchens, boats, RVs, dorm rooms and so on.
- Dimensions – The induction cooktop measures 14 X 11.4 X 2.5 inches and has a weight of 7.3 pounds.
- High Energy Efficiency – 20 preset power levels are available, ranging between 1000W and 1800W. In addition, you can choose out of 20 preset settings for temperature levels.
- Digital LCD Sensor – A touch control panel includes all the features you can use, including timer and child safety lock. The device is programmable for up to 10 hours.
- Multiple Safety Features – The Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop was designed with complete safety in mind. This is why it includes over-heat protection, safety cut-out, automatic shutoff, and child lock.
- Easy Maintenance – The surface of the induction cooktop is nonstick glass. This means that it is very easy to clean.
- Very easy to use digital LCD sensor
- Very attractive design
- High energy efficiency
- Automatic shutoff
- Child lock
- Nonstick glass surface
- Can only use induction-ready cookware
- Temperatures can get higher than what is listed, although this only happens by up to 40 degrees Fahrenheit
Duxtop 9620LS LCD Portable Double Induction Cooktop
The Duxtop 9620LC LCD Portable Double Induction Cooktop allows you to easily cook two things at the same time because it includes 2 induction burners. It is clear from a first glance that the induction cooktops are professional, giving you access to the possibility of separately controlling each of them through the use of LCD display screens. The induction burner utilizes 15 amp and 120 Volts, which is standard for homes in North America.
What is very interesting is that you can choose out of 20 preset levels for every single mode included. This is important because it offers much higher cooking control. You use the Temperature Mode in order to saute, steam or fry. The Power Mode is useful when you want to make water boil really fast or when your goal is to keep the food warm.
Just as with all quality induction cooktops, energy efficiency is very high and the double induction cooker works with many different applications, including stainless steel that has a magnetic bottom, enameled iron, cast iron, and magnetic steel. The heating area is 6 inches and the fact that you can raise the power up to 1800W helps you cook faster, which is what you would expect from a portable unit.
- Dual Heating Zones – 2 independent heating zones are available. You can set them differently through an LCD control panel. Powering the cooktop is easy as the unit is compatible with all standard North American homes.
- Attractive Design – The induction cooktop looks great in any kitchen.
- Dimensions – Although there are 2 independent heating zones in the induction cooktop, it only weighs 14.8 pounds and its dimensions are 4.3 X 17.1 X 25 inches.
- Safety – Different features included, like child safety lock. There is no open heating element and Power Mode helps keep food warm.
- Easy Cleaning – The surface of the induction cooktop is very easy to clean with just a damp towel.
- Wide Possible Applications
- Dual heating zones
- Safe to use
- Very easy to use
- Easy cleaning
- Energy efficient
- Temperature Mode and Power Mode
- Attractive design
- Power up to 1800W
- When maximum power is used for one cooking zone, the same cannot happen with the second zone because power is split between them
AmazonBasics 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop Burner
The 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop from AmazonBasics allows you to easily cook all your favorite dishes without worrying about uneven cooking temperatures. You can use it in temporary or small spaces like RVs and cabins to prepare eggs, pasta, steaks, and pretty much everything you want. At the same time, you save space because of the limited footprint of the cooktop.
The display is fully digital and the top is a glass panel that makes cleaning a breeze. There are different pre-set cooking controls you can use, including power settings up to 1800W. You can use a timer of up to 3 hours and the safety functions include are voltage warning, overheat protection and automatic pause.
The surface area available allows you to fit a pan or pot that has a size from medium to large. You can use cookware that is suitable for any induction cooktop to cook your preferred meals.
- Dimensions – The induction cooktop measures 13 X 2.6 X 11.4 inches and weighs 5.95 pounds.
- Glass Panel – Makes it really easy to clean the cooktop.
- LED Display – This allows you to control the cooktop, including setting the cooking controls and the power settings. The 3-hour timer is also programmable from the display.
- Completely portable
- Glass panel top
- Safety features
- LED Display
- Heat for cooking is generated just in an area with a diameter of 4 inches.
Duxtop 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner
The Duxtop 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner is one of the most popular cooktops of its kind and it is easy to understand why. The device is ETL listed and respects all North American electrical standards. You will appreciate the fact that the cooktop is completely portable and lightweight, so it can easily be stored and moved from one location to another.
One thing that you should know is that the efficiency of the cooktop is very high; it allows you the possibility of choosing out of 15 different preset power levels. The settings let you choose the power you use from 200W to 1800W.
When it is time to clean the induction countertop cooktop, you need to make sure it is cold and then you can wipe it off with a damp cloth. Any induction-ready cookware can be used and the unit will shut off automatically after 1 minute if the weight from the cookware is not detected on it. On the whole, the Duxtop’s burner is one of the best you can buy and is much safer and more energy-efficient than gas or electric burners.
- Portable Induction Burner – Very easy to use and can be added to any boat, RV, home kitchen or even dormitory room.
- Dimensions – 12.5 X 3.5 X 16 inches, with a weight of 6.85 pounds
- High Efficiency – Many different preset power levels can be used and the official energy efficiency rating of the cooktop is 83%. Very fast cooking time and heat-up are available.
- Very Easy To Clean – There is no heating element or open flame used so food will not burn. The induction burner can be cleaned by just wiping it with a damp cloth. A large display screen is included for easy viewing and control of the features.
- Digital Timer – In the event that you forget the cooktop open, it will automatically shut down after 1 minute.
- Attractive and elegant design
- Great LCD screen
- Numerous preset power and temperature levels
- Nonstick cooking surface
- The cooking zone has a small diameter of just 5 inches