Best yogurt makers for 2020
f you eat a lot of yogurt, it is time to invest in the best yogurt maker and start making yogurt at home. You will not only save money but also make yourself healthier and tastier yogurt than the one you can purchase from the grocery store.
The yogurt makers we reviewed for you are some of the best that currently exist on the market, based on their ratings and the customer reviews of other yogurt lovers just like you.
Let’s dive into the world of yogurt makers and see which model is the best yogurt maker for you.
How Does A Yogurt Maker Machine Work?
An electronic yogurt maker is a kitchen appliance you can use to make yogurt at home. While the process sounds intimidating, it couldn’t be simpler. The yogurt maker takes care of the fermentation by keeping the mixture of milk and starter at the right temperature throughout the entire process.
With a yogurt maker, you don’t have to worry about temperature control because the machine does it for you so you can safely make yogurt at home any time of the year, even when the room temperature is too high or too low for the traditional method.
While most yogurt makers work pretty much the same way, they do have different features that allow you to make yogurt slower or faster. Some are even equipped with additional settings that give you more control over the temperature. The design and materials used in manufacturing the yogurt makers also differ from model to model.
Do I Need A Yogurt Maker?
Making your own yogurt comes with a wide range of benefits. The most important one is that you have full control over the taste, the texture, and the ingredients you use.
Homemade yogurt is definitely healthier than the store-bought kind since you can make it with organic milk, you can flavor it with natural flavorings, not artificial ones, and you can even sweeten it with honey instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners if you don’t like the tart taste. You can make delicious yogurt at home without any artificial thickeners, colors, and flavors. Furthermore, you have control over the fat content and, if you want to, you can make the yogurt vegan by using almond, coconut or soy milk.
What about Greek yogurt? You can make Greek yogurt at home as well. It takes a little longer but it’s definitely worth it. The Greek yogurt maker comes with an additional strainer that allows you to remove the whey out of the yogurt.
And, while you can definitely make yogurt at home without a yogurt maker, the machine makes your job a lot easier. Anyone can make their own yogurt with a yogurt maker. It’s a simple process once you familiarize yourself with the machine.
Do Yogurt Makers Save Money?
Depending on how much yogurt you eat, you can end up saving a lot of money if you opt for homemade yogurt instead of purchasing it from the grocery store. Especially if you like organic yogurt or yogurt made only with the best ingredients.
A gallon of milk costs significantly less than a gallon of yogurt. And, when making yogurt at home, aside from milk, all you need is a yogurt starter. Unless, of course, you don’t like the taste of plain yogurt, in which case you’ll also need fresh fruits or other flavorings. However, even in this case, the cost of making yogurt at home is lower than the cost of buying yogurt. Not to mention the fact that you will utilize less single-use plastic containers because the containers of the yogurt makers are reusable.
You can save quite a lot of money if you switch from store-bought yogurt to homemade yogurt. Plus, if you use an automatic yogurt maker, you don’t have much to do. The effort is minimal since you only have to prep the ingredients. After that, you just allow the yogurt maker to do its thing. You can program the yogurt maker before going to bed at night and wake up to freshly made yogurt in the morning.
What To Look For In A Yogurt Maker
Not all yogurt makers have the same features and the same capacity. When choosing a yogurt maker, it is important to choose a high-quality one that fulfills your needs. For example, if you like Greek yogurt, you need a Greek yogurt maker with a strainer. Or at least one that comes with a straining bag and allows you to make a higher amount of yogurt at the same time since some yogurt will be lost during straining.
If temperature control is important for you, pick a yogurt maker that has an auto temperature control feature. A digital yogurt maker is the best choice for you since these typically offer more control over the temperature. They also have more timing settings and they allow you more control over the entire process altogether.
Making yogurt at home takes time. However, some yogurt makers work faster than others. Some take up to 12 hours to make yogurt while others move way faster and finish the fermentation process in just 4 hours. You can opt for one that works fast or for one that slowly ferments the yogurt. It is entirely up to you. Some people prefer the slow fermentation process because the yogurt develops a fuller taste and better flavor when it’s fermented at a lower temperature for a longer time.
When you look through the yogurt makers we selected for you, check the product dimensions, capacity, and the rest of the features to be sure you choose the best yogurt maker for your needs.
How To Use A Yogurt Maker?
The last thing we’re going to discuss before reviewing the yogurt makers is how to use them. This will show you that, even though the process of making yogurt seems complicated, it’s not that hard to do it after all.
What You Need
Aside from the electric yogurt maker, you’ll need:
- a measuring cup;
- a saucepan;
- a thermometer;
- a mixing bowl;
- a wooden spoon;
- a ladle.
How To Make Yogurt At Home
To make the yogurt, start by checking the container capacity of your yogurt maker to be sure you use the right amount of milk. Then pick your favorite milk. You can use any type of dairy milk even though whole milk is preferred or vegan kinds of milk such as coconut, almond or soy. Then get started by following these easy steps:
Heat The Milk
Pour the milk of your choice in the saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Use the thermometer to check the temperature and make sure the milk doesn’t reach the boiling point. Once it reached 180 degrees Fahrenheit, you can remove the saucepan from heat.
Cool The Milk
Allow the milk to cool until the thermometer shows around 110 degrees Fahrenheit. You can let the milk cool on the counter in the saucepan or you can cool it with ice. The second option will cool the milk in just about 5 minutes so if you are in a hurry, use this method. All you have to do is fill a mixing bowl that can fit your saucepan with ice and place the saucepan over ice until the milk reaches the desired temperature.
Mix The Milk With A Yogurt Starter
For this step, you need to mix the milk with the yogurt starter of your choice. You can use a dry starter or even a little bit of yogurt that has live active cultures in it.
If you don’t like the taste of plain yogurt, now it’s the time to add in the flavors. You can add pretty much anything you normally like in your yogurt including honey, vanilla extract, jam, fresh fruits or any other flavorings you enjoy.
Fill the Yogurt Container
Fill the yogurt maker container (or containers, depending on the type of yogurt maker you use) with the milk and starter mixture. Use a ladle for precision and make sure you wipe any drips and spills.
Program The Yogurt Maker
Place the container in the yogurt maker and start the process. Some yogurt makers allow you to set your desired temperature and incubation time while others do not. It can take between 4 and 12 hours for the yogurt to be ready.
Refrigerate The Yogurt
When the incubating process is over, remove the container from the yogurt maker. Some containers have lids and double as storage containers so all you have to do is put the lid on and place them in the fridge. If that’s not the case for your yogurt maker, transfer the yogurt in glass jars and seal them with a tight lid.
If you want to make Greek yogurt – there is an additional step you have to follow and that is straining. Some yogurt makers come with a strainer while others do not. If you prefer Greek yogurt to regular yogurt, make sure you purchase a yogurt maker that comes with a strainer. Alternatively, buy a strainer separately or use a cheesecloth to strain the yogurt until it reaches your desired consistency.
Best Yogurt Makers
Cuisinart CYM-100 Electronic Yogurt Maker with Automatic Cooling
The Cuisinart Electronic Yogurt Maker with Automatic Cooling can easily turn any type of milk including dairy, soy, and almond milk into yogurt with just a push of a button. Operating the yogurt maker is very easy – all you have to do is set the time, based on your yogurt recipe and press start. Then, you wait for the machine to do its job. After the processing time passed, the yogurt maker will automatically switch to the cooling mode. During cooling mode, the unit maintains the temperature until you turn it off.
This Cuisinart model is the best yogurt maker for someone who likes to make a large batch of yogurt at once. The digital yogurt maker gives you a lot of versatility in terms of temperature and processing time.
- Product Dimensions – 9.8 x 7.1 x 9.9 inches
- Large Container Capacity – The 50-ounce container allows you to make more than 6 regular (8-ounce) servings of yogurt at once.
- Digital Display – The LED display is intuitive and all you have to do to make yogurt is to press a button. The display also has time controls so you can easily adjust time and shows processing time.
- Stainless Steel – Sleek design that makes the appliance look good in any modern kitchen.
- Automatic Cooling Mode: After the processing cycle is complete, the machine automatically switches to cooling mode and maintains the temperature until you turn it off.
- Easy to use
- Intuitive control panel
- Great time control settings
- 3-year warranty
- Works great for regular yogurt but takes longer to make strained yogurt
- The Cuisinart warranty process is complicated and it takes a while until you receive a different machine or you get yours fixed if you experience problems with it
Euro Cuisine YM80 Yogurt Maker
This Euro Cuisine YM80 Yogurt Maker comes with 7 glass jars so you can make a different flavored yogurt in each one in one go. This machine is user-friendly; all that needs to be done is to press the on/off switch. There’s a timer on the side of the unit that marks when the process of making yogurt is over. However, it is important to note that this is not a digital yogurt maker so the timer doesn’t display the exact time. The base features numbers from 1 to 12 and an arrow on the lid points to the hour.
You can make up to 42 ounces of yogurt at the same time if you use the Euro Cuisine yogurt maker. If you want to obtain a firmer yogurt texture, you can add powdered milk to the pasteurized milk before pouring it into the glass jars. And, if you don’t want to make different flavors of yogurt every time, you can use the yogurt maker with a glass bowl. However, the glass bowl needs to be purchased separately.
- Product Dimensions: 9.5 x 9.5 x 6 inches
- Time – the unit makes yogurt in 6-10 hours and there is a timer on the side to check the time.
- Container Capacity – There are electric yogurt makes comes with 7 6-ounces jars so you can make up to 42-ounces of yogurt at once.
- Clear Glass Lid – you can observe the fermentation process and adjust the time if necessary.
- On/Off Switch – To start making yogurt, all you have to do is to press the on/off switch. When the unit is working, the light of the switch is on.
- Easy to use
- Glass jars are dishwasher safe
- Can make 7 different types of yogurt at the same time
- 3-year warranty
- Doesn’t have an automatic shut-off
- The timer does no display processing time
- Can get hot
- Glass containers are not very big
Yogourmet 104 Electric Yogurt Maker
The versatile Yogourmet 104 Electric Yogurt Maker can be used for making yogurt but also sour cream and cheese. The device uses a water-bath system that helps maintain the perfect temperature for yogurt preparation. However, to ensure that the fermentation process goes smoothly and safely, the kit includes a thermometer you can use to be sure the milk is processed at the right temperature at all times.
You can make 1 or 2 liters of yogurt at a time with this yogurt maker. The yogurt can be stored in the fridge directly in the inner container. The container comes with a seal-tight lid that allows you to refrigerate yogurt for up to 3 weeks. You can purchase other containers if you want to be able to make a new yogurt batch before finishing the first one.
Another thing worth mentioning is that the Yogourmet 104 Electric Yogurt Maker comes with a cotton bag that has an easy opening and a cord. You can use this to make cheese.
- Product Dimensions – 7.8 x 7.8 x 10 inches
- Time – The Yogourmet Electric Yogurt Maker is fast. The unit can make 2 liters of yogurt in just 4 and a half hours.
- Container Capacity – The container can make up to 2 liters but you can also use the unit to make less yogurt if you want.
- Precision Thermometer – The yogurt maker comes with a thermometer you can use to ensure precision. The thermometer is marked with both Fahrenheit and Celsius readings.
- Reusable Containers – The containers included in this yogurt maker kit are made of BPA- and PVC-free plastic. The kit also comes with a cotton bag for making cheese.
- PVC- and BPA-free
- The inner container is dishwasher safe
- 1-year warranty
- The inner container is made of plastic and it can crack if not handled with care
- No temperature control so you cannot adjust the temperature for processing, which can be problematic if you want to make probiotic yogurt. You have to use the thermometer, unplug the device, and allow it to cool down if it goes above the temperature recommended by your yogurt recipe.
Dash Greek Yogurt Maker Machine with LCD Display
The Dash Greek Yogurt Maker is a compact and lightweight machine. This is the best yogurt maker for smaller kitchens or college dorms. All the device’s accessories fit inside its base so storage takes less space. The yogurt maker comes in 3 different colors – blue, pink, and white.
A great thing about this yogurt maker is that it is very easy to use. Prep time takes only 10 minutes then you can let the unit make yogurt overnight. If you love Greek yogurt, this yogurt maker comes with a strainer you can use to achieve the consistency and thickness of Greek yogurt. You can make up to 4 cups of Greek yogurt and about 7 ½ of regular yogurt.
- Product Dimensions – 7.1 x 7.1 x 9.5 inches
- Time – It takes 8 to 12 hours to make 2 quarts of yogurt, depending on recipe specifications.
- Container Capacity – This is a small, compact yogurt maker that can make up to 64-ounces of yogurt. However, it works best if you use it to make only 48-ounces.
- Reusable Plastic Containers – The yogurt maker kit comes with 2 BPA-free buckets you can use to make and store yogurt since each bucket comes with a lid as well. Furthermore, a strainer basket that can be used for making Greek yogurt is also included.
- Easy to use
- Easy cleaning – the non-electric components can be wiped clean
- 1-year warranty
- Compact and lightweight
- Can get too hot and the inner plastic components can melt
- No temperature adjustment
Euro Cuisine Yogurt Maker - YMX650
The second Euro Cuisine that made it on our best yogurt makers list is the YMX650. This automatic yogurt maker allows you to make any type of yogurt you want with ease. The machine has an auto temperature control system and it automatically shuts off after 15 hours so you can really prep the ingredients, press the start button and then just forget about it until your yogurt is ready to enjoy.
This is not a Greek yogurt maker but it can be if you purchase the Euro Cuisine GY50 Strainer separately and manually strain the yogurt.
Overall, this is a great yogurt maker you can use to make different flavors at the same time because the yogurt is being made in 7 different glass jars. The jars double as storage containers because they come with lids and with a 7 rotary date setting. Both the jars and the top rack are dishwasher safe so this yogurt maker is easy to clean as well.
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 12 x 8 inches
- Time – This yogurt maker features a digital timer that beeps when the yogurt is ready. The device also has an automatic shut-off system that will automatically turn the unit off after 15 hours.
- Container Capacity – This yogurt maker comes with 7 reusable 6-ounces glass jars for making yogurt. The jars feature BPA-free plastic lids so you can use the jars for storing them as well.
- Clear Glass Lid – Euro Cuisine YMX650 has a clear glass lid so you can watch how your yogurt is made.
- Auto Temperature Control – The auto temperature control features guarantees that the ideal processing temperature is maintained throughout the entire yogurt making process.
- Automatic shut-off
- 3-year warranty
- Dishwasher safe top rack and glass jars
- BPA-free containers
- Milk needs to be heated at least at 180 F for the yogurt to turn out thick.
- Can get hot and but you can remove the lid throughout the process to let out some heat
Euro Cuisine YM260 Yogurt Maker
Last on our list of yogurt makers, we have another model from Euro Cuisine. The YM260 is an economical yogurt maker you can use to prepare up to 2 quarts of yogurt. You can use any type of milk you like with this unit including cow, coconut, soy, and almond. However, you have to be aware that the consistency of the yogurt made with almond milk will be slightly thinner than the one of dairy yogurt or coconut yogurt.
Besides regular yogurt, you can use the Euro Cuisine YM260 to make Greek yogurt and cheese. The device comes with a cotton bag with a cord attached to it so you can easily hang it to strain the yogurt of whey and turn it into Greek yogurt or use the bag to make cheese.
The yogurt maker has a timer that marks the time of fermentation. It’s important to note this is not a digital display timer. Just like the first Euro Cuisine yogurt maker we analyzed, the base features numbers from 1 to 12 and an arrow on the lid points to the hour.
- Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 7.5 x 10.5 inches
- Time – The unit features a timer on the side that lets you know when the fermentation process will be finished. It takes between 6 and 8 hours for the yogurt to be ready.
- Container Capacity – This yogurt maker can make up to 2 quarts of yogurt at a time.
- The yogurt maker kit includes a serving bowl, cotton bag for making cheese or Greek yogurt, and a stainless steel thermometer.
- 3-year warranty
- BPA-free container
- Comes with a stainless steel thermometer you can use to check the milk temperature
- The dome top can collect condensation
- Can have problems with temperature regulation