How to make perfect brown rice in a rice cooker?
Brown rice can just as easily be cooked in a rice cooker, the big difference is that white rice has had the bran layer stripped from it so it cooks a little quicker. This means that if you are planning to cook brown rice you should be looking to cook it longer and because of this you will need to be adding more water to the rice cooker.
It is important to remember that different rice cookers will have different times to do this so it would be wise to see if there are any instructions that would come with your rice cooker.
Some people also like to soak their rice overnight to but this is a matter of taste, I personally don’t soak brown rice as I can’t really tell the difference and often I don’t have the time for this.
Here is the basic recipe that I follow:
- Rinse 2 cups of brown rice (I like to clean my rice before cooking with it)
- Add the rice into the rice cooker
- Add water – usually for white rice you would be adding 2 cups of water (I don’t know exactly what you are adding, but I add an extra cup of water to make it to 3 cups of water)
- Add in some salt to taste
- You are looking about 30 mins cooking time for this
This will make between 4 and 6 servings
You might get slightly different results depending on the machine, if you are like me then you will just learn and adjust the next time accordingly.
Be sure to watch this video this lady is a cooking genius.
Read our review on the The NS-ZCC10 5 Neuro Fuzzy logic rice cooker